PS 321 is proud to announce that the lunchroom is now collecting organic waste, which includes the compostable sugar cane trays used for school lunch. This means students who eat school lunch will be able to recycle ALL their waste! A brief description of the system is below. For a full recycling guide, click here.
The children now pass 4 bins on their way out of the lunchroom or gym:
Liquids: Pour milk, juice, and water in the bucket.
Recycle: Milk cartons, juice boxes, plastic water cups, plastic utensils, straws. Aluminum foil and other hard plastics if they are clean enough.
Compost: Food scraps, food-soiled paper, and trays
Landfill: Juice pouches, ziploc bags, plastic or foil wrappers, yogurt squeezers. Help us have as little in this last bin as possible!
How you can help at home:
• Talk to your children about what to recycle in school.
• Help reduce waste and recycle TOGETHER at home.
• Talk about what leftovers can be brought home.
• Pack a “bring-home” garbage bag or container for dirty recyclable plastics.
• Use reusable sandwich wraps and containers (yogurt, applesauce, raw vegetables or crackers) for single serve portions too!
• Include reusable utensils.