June 12. 2020
As we explained in December, DOE employees are bound by strict conflict of interest regulations. At the end of the year, some of you think about gift giving, and I wanted to reiterate those regulations and also clarify some things due to not being able to see each other.
- It is never necessary to give an individual or group gift to a staff member; notes are always appreciated!
- If you do decide to give an individual gift, it must not be of significant monetary value.
- It is permissible for the class to collect for a group gift, but with the following guidelines:
- No one is required to give anything.
- Parents should not be asked to give a specific amount and ideally donations are not too large.
- The group gift must be from the entire class, whether or not everyone contributes to it.
Because it is not possible to actually see the teacher, some of you have asked how you get a gift to a teacher. You cannot deposit cash into a teacher’s bank account or pay them through Paypal. You can either give an electronic gift card, drop the gift off at the staff member’s home if the staff member is comfortable with that, or if it is something such as a book of photos, you could mail it to the staff member if the staff member gives you her address. Or, you could let the teacher know you have a gift for him and give it to him once we are back in school.
Thanks for following these guidelines!
I know that this is a very generous community, but know that it is not necessary to give any gifts.