Update From Principal Phillips:
Dear PS 321 Families,
As I suspected, we will be closed tomorrow, Friday, December 11. I will be in touch as soon as I have additional information about what will happen next week, as that has not yet been decided. When we are remote, both hybrid cohorts learn together each day. Tomorrow we will go back to our fully remote cluster schedule, which will be posted on the Google Classroom in Classwork under Schedules and Checklists. Please have your children sign onto their Google Classroom at 8:30 for their morning meeting. Copied below is a letter from the Department of Education. I appreciate your flexibility and support and I know this is challenging for everyone!
Liz Phillips Principal
To the PS 321 Community:
As a result of determinations made by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) and The NYC Test + Trace Corps (T2), two or more members of your school community have tested positive for COVID-19 within seven days of each other. As a result, the school building will close for an initial 24 hours so that the NYC Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (DOHMH) may investigate the source(s) of transmission.
Below you will find guidance that reflects the expertise of the DOHMH, the New York City Department of Education (DOE) and the NYC Test & Trace Corps (T2).
What Happens Now?
● Effective 12/11/2020, the school building will close for an initial 24 hours. All students will transition to fully remote learning for this period. During this time, T2 and DOHMH will complete their investigation and the school will be cleaned and disinfected.
● All students and staff in the affected class (es) with the individual who tested positive are considered “close contacts” and have been notified of the need to quarantine for 14 days from their last contact with the person who tested positive. These students and staff will transition to fully remote teaching and learning for this period.
● Anyone with a positive COVID-19 test will not return to the building until they are no longer infectious.
● T2 and DOHMH will complete their investigation to identify and notify any other close contacts in the building, who will also need to quarantine for 14 days.
● Based on the status of the investigation, the principal will communicate with you each night about the status of opening the next morning for everyone who is not a close contact.
How can I stay updated?
The school will continue to closely follow directions from public health experts and proactively update you on any measures we are taking. To ensure we can reach you via text and email, please create a New York City Schools Account (NYCSA) as soon as possible if you do not already have one by visiting schools.nyc.gov/nycsa.
To help New Yorkers quarantine, the NYC Test + Trace Corps partners with community-based organizations to connect individuals to resources like food, medicine, and health care. To connect with these resources, you can call 1-212-COVID19 (212-268-4319).
For additional information on COVID-19, visit schools.nyc.gov/coronavirus or call 311.