Dear Class Parents,
Thank you so much for signing up to be the class parent representative for your child’s class. While the Class Parent has always been a key role at PS 321, this year we are formalizing this role and process, as the need for strong communication between parents, teachers and the PTA is more essential than ever.
You will serve as the class point of contact for the classroom teacher, the PTA, and other parents in the class — including both of your teacher’s cohorts for those doing hybrid learning, and your entire class for Cohort D. For the 2020 – 2021 school year, a primary focus will also be helping to facilitate social engagement for your class, between both kids and parents.
In some classes we have two or more volunteers, so you can work together to get things done — you can also tap other parents in your class to divide up Class Parent tasks.
Below, we’ve included a list of immediate responsibilities:
- Meet with your teacher or email them and ask what else they’d like help with. You can use the “Understand your teacher’s needs” section in our Class Parent Role doc as a starting point.
- Work with your teacher to create and maintain a complete EMAIL distribution list or Google Group to communicate regularly with other parents in the class — mention to parents that the email list should not be used for commercial purposes.
- Introduce yourself so the parents in your classroom know who you are, and ask them if/how they can help out.
- Organize class gifts for your teachers
- Schedule a socially distanced or virtual meetup for the kids/parents in your class.
- Be the PTA liaison for your class: Attend meetings, share important news, rally support for virtual events and fundraisers.
- In January, schedule a virtual coffee hour or cocktails for parents to meet each other.
Reference and bookmark our 2020-2021 Class Parent Role document for more information and link-outs to relevant documents.
Please contact Volunteer Coordinator Co-Chairs Hasoni Pratts or Lauren Kenney at hpratts@gmail or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or needed assistance.
Thanks again for all you do for our children. Good Luck! Have fun!
Lauren Grupp Lowery and SaSaDi Odunsi
PTA Volunteer Coordinators
Hasoni Pratts and Laura Kenney