Did you know that teachers and administrators throughout NY State have been told by the State Education Department that they are not allowed to “read, review, or duplicate the contents of secure test material before, during, or after test administration”? Some teachers across the State have “leaked” reports which indicate that the problems PS 321 staff spoke out about last year persist: confusing questions with more than one correct answer, incoherent passages, and material that is 2-3 grades above recommended grade level.
You can also:
• Make your voice heard. The New York State Education Department is taking public comment on the new standards.
• Read the Speech Principal Liz Phillips delivered at Saturday’s “Save our Schools” rally in Manhattan.
• Read an article by Carol Burris, “Educators alarmed by some questions on N.Y. Common Core tests.”
• Watch this video to understand why value-added evaluation measures are problematic.
• Watch our Teachers Speak about Testing.